Saturday, March 24, 2012

Zimmerman

George Zimmerman is a cop nerd. There are many kinds of nerds in the world. Star Wars and Star Trek nerds, Civil War nerds and D&D nerds, Harry Potter nerds, the list is endless. I was in the Army with a Special Forces nerd. He had the SF patch sewed on his civilian jacket and baseball hat and he never shut up about how he was going to go off to Bragg and join such and such Army Unit and be one of the baddest of the bad. It took about thirty seconds talking to him to figure out he was all talk. You knew that he would be lucky to finish boot camp and sure enough he washed out. So George Zimmerman is another kind of nerd who attached himself to an honorable subculture to wrap himself in the glory of it. I bet he has a police radio scanner so he can listen to the radio transmissions and watches endless police TV shows and movies and there is no way he possesses the self awareness and judgement and faculties and sensitivity to complex social situations and the ability to function under pressure that a good policeman simply must have. Now these shortcomings are no sin. I presume myself to be similarly limited in many ways and if I was in a high pressure career like policing I would surely make mistakes and somebody might get hurt.
But I am not running around with a 9mm.
And I don't view black people as people who "always get away with it" or "fucking coons"
And I would never track anybody down and get into an altercation that got a teenager killed.
I don't believe that George Zimmerman is a cold blooded killer. But I know, I KNOW that he's a foolish imbecile of a man who was viewing Trayvon Martin through some very dark glasses and that was the genesis of the tragedy in Florida this past month.
Tragic.

2 comments: