Sunday, March 4, 2012

Roadside truck repairs

My radiator hose blew out on me today. I was inching through a bad traffic jam near Little Rock and started smelling the coolant. I got my rig off the road and sure enough there's a huge blowout in the short hose right on top of the engine. I called work and let them know what happened. They asked if I could get the truck off the highway and we decided to try the trusty old duct tape temporary repair. Coolant was all over everything under the hood, a slippery greasy mess. By then dusk was falling and I was juggling tape and the flashlight while standing on top of the engine block. The bad part was climbing back down without falling and breaking my collarbone. But I managed well enough. The worst part is that I fear I've ruined my pants by getting the black stuff all over the legs. I added a gallon of water that I had standing by and was ready to try to make the fifteen mile ride to the next exit. I made it with a couple of stops to let the motor cool down. So now I'm parked at a quiet truckstop in Arkansas west of Memphis. There's a shop here and I hope they'll be able to get me on my way in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete