Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Boots and shoes

I am wearing a pair of eight year old boots. I got a close out deal on them at an outfitters store back home. They're black leather hiking boots with Gore Tex and I paid fifty bucks (!) for them. I love wearing them and I hope I have them on when the zombies show up. I imagine characters in McCarthy's The Road murdering each other over boots like these. Sherlock Holmes, or Doctor House who said "shoes never lie" could probably tell you a lot about me from examining them. Recently the NBA had their All Star Game in Orlando and Nike celebrated by releasing a $220 pair of Air Jordan sneakers. Riots ensued. Now I'm a basketball fan but I don't get it. Who gets into a stampede over shoes? Upper middle class men who want to collect them? Sell them on ebay? Take them home and stick them on the shelf with your other dusty Air Jordans? That mentality is so alien to me. I want the kind of shoes that let you feel prepared for Justin Cronin's North American Viral Cataclysm, thank you very much. In a size twelve, please.


No comments:

Post a Comment